Student and Graduate Publishing

Take the Test: Driving in the United States

Sunday, 01 June 2014 09:59

If you want to drive a car to class, the grocery store, or a friend’s house, you need a driver’s license. As an F or M student in the United States, you have the benefit to obtain one. To get a driver’s license you must:
Talk to your designated school official (DSO) to make sure you are in Active status in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) Your name and birthdate must also be correct in SEVIS. Wait 10 days after arriving in the country to apply Some states require that you have at least six months left on your Form I-20, “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status,” to apply for a driver’s license. Talk to your DSO and check your state’s department of motor vehicles (DMV) website to see if this applies to you.

Apply for a Social Security number (SSN) (if required by your state) If you or your dependents are not eligible to work, but want to apply for a driver’s license, you must first apply for an SSN at the local Social Security office and receive a Form SSA-L676, “Refusal to Process SSN Application,” which you may need to present at the DMV

When you visit your local DMV, bring documents to prove you are legally in the United States. Your name, birthday and status must match these documents so it is important to check before you go. Bring the following: Signed Form I-20
Form I-94, “Arrival/Departure Record,”
Valid passport with visa if applicable
Form I-766, “Employment Authorization Document,” if on post-completion optional practical training
Form I-797, “Notice of Action” if you have changed your status,
SSN, if required, and
Proof of residence.

You may also have to take a written test and driving test to obtain a license. DMV representatives can give you information on all of the necessary requirements. Learn more about how to apply on our Driver’s License Application Process page. If you have any questions, talk to your DSO.

This article has been reproduced with the kind permission of Homeland Security - Study in the United States -

Read more about study in the USA.