How can postgraduate study and professional qualifications in the business sector help you progress up the career ladder?
Further study can improve your business knowledge and make you more employable. If you are job seeking in an area that is unrelated to your undergraduate degree, then a Masters qualification can help to secure your first job and provide a basis for later professional qualifications.
It’s becoming increasingly common for employers to offer assistance to people who wish to undertake part time study in the business sector so this is worth looking into. Support can range from time off to study, the payment of course fees, an enhanced salary or all three. Obtaining professional qualifications is often a requirement for membership of professional bodies in the business sector.
Higher-level apprenticeship pathways are also offered by businesses, such as PwC, and this option allows you to continue working while studying for professional qualifications in taxation, audit and management consultancy.
Should I join a professional body?
Membership of a professional body is compulsory in many business, management and consulting roles and joining an industry-specific professional body will enhance your status within your field of expertise.
Membership of a professional body also gives you an opportunity to:
• network with colleagues in the same profession;
• access resources, training and events;
• increase your chances of promotion.
Which professional qualifications are recognised in the business sector?
Professional qualifications can be obtained by the following professional bodies:
• The Chartered Management Institute (CMI) is the only chartered body in the UK dedicated to leadership and management. It offers a range of qualifications from entry level to chartered manager status, which is the highest level that can be achieved in the managerial profession.
• The Institute of Consulting (IC) offers qualifications at award, certificate and diploma level in consulting and business support. The organisation is part of the CMI and qualifications can take from a few weeks to a few months to complete. In addition to this, the IC also provides the Certified Management Consultant (CMC) award, which is the most respected accolade for consultants.
For more advice on studying Business and Finance.