Student and Graduate Publishing

Funding in UK

Monday, 11 November 2013 16:10

We've compiled a brief overview of scholarships and funding available to postgraduate International students wanting to study in the UK.

The British Chevening Scholarship scheme aims to bring future leaders, decision-makers and opinion-formers to the UK for a period of postgraduate study. To be eligible, you should have a proven record of success and have the potential to rise to a position of power and influence in your chosen career.

Chevening awards cover all or part of the cost of a one-year postgraduate course in the UK. Once you have completed the course, you will be expected to return to your home country.
Find out more from the Foreign & Commonwealth Office.


The CSFP is aimed at Commonwealth citizens who can make a significant contribution to their home country after studying in the UK. If you are from a developing country in the Commonwealth, your chosen area of work is expected to contribute directly to development objectives.
If you are from a developed Commonwealth country, you should have the potential to become a leader in your chosen profession.

CSFP Scholarships are usually for between one and three years. They cover the cost of travel to and from the UK, tuition fees and living expenses. In some cases an allowance is paid to help with the cost of maintaining your spouse and family in the UK.
Find out more at: 



The Commonwealth Shared Scholarship scheme assists students from developing Commonwealth countries who would benefit from higher education in the UK. If you are unable to study in the UK for financial reasons and are outside the scope of other British government support schemes, you may be eligible.

To apply for a Commonwealth Shared Scholarship you should be:
•of high academic calibre
•intending to study subjects of 
developmental relevance to your 
home country
•under 35 years old at the time your 
course starts
•able to speak fluent English
•not employed by your government or 
an international organisation
•resident in a developing 
Commonwealth country. 



The Royal Society offers incoming fellowships for researchers from North America and Asia. The aim is to attract outstanding postdoctoral scientists to undertake high-quality research at a UK laboratory. 
The fellowships are available for up to two years for post doctoral researchers in the USA and Canada and up to one year if you are from Asia. The Asian countries included are: 
• China
• India
• Japan
• South Korea • Brunei 
• Burma
• Cambodia • Indonesia
• Laos
• Philippines • Singapore
• Thailand
• Vietnam. 


Click here for more Tuition Fee advice.